I built upon the work I did with masking fluid in response to Landscape Artist of the Year in this experimental project. I was still working on the concepts of texture, pattern, and material. The first piece I produced used a combination of watercolour paint and cling film. I used an A2 page from my watercolour sketchbook and dropped paint and water onto it, letting it swirl and move as I dropped more onto the surface. I made sure the colour covered the surface, although it was subtle because of the amount of water, and then placed a sheet of cling film over it, again allowing it to fall and scrunch naturally. I left it overnight before peeling the clingfilm off, leaving behind a negative pattern across the surface of the paint.

The second piece I did used the same method, but the result was much more successful because of the vibrancy resulting from ink instead of watercolours. In addition to this, when I placed the cling film over the page, the ink was fluid enough to travel along the creases of the film. This ended with the opposite effect to the watercolours, where instead of a lighter pattern on top, dark pink ink was webbed across the page, creating a bolder, more geometric statement.

The third experimental piece I did was on another A5 piece of MDF, and I layered purple paint over the surface before pasting masking fluid in a cover over the top. I then used the back end of the paintbrush and dragged it across the surface of the board, catching against the masking tape and lifting the paint off with it to create a purple snakeskin pattern. This was a really interesting discovery and I’m hoping to use it in further relief works.

Advertisements